Saturday, September 02, 2006

Interview with Stefan

Where are you from originally? I'm French. I live in Paris.

What inspires you? My main sources for inspiration, as you may have gathered from my images, are vintage comics, commercials, ads, etc... I have the greatest interest in everything from the 40's/50's: cars, architecture, movies, paintings and any kind of pop culture of the era, including the "totalitarian art" from the time. Nothing about ideology in this, of course, just aesthetism.

Could you tell us some more about your art? Well... all the above, is re-arranged with a strong gay erotic overtone in my images, but also, hopefully, some humor, sometimes. All this stuff is just fun and not be taken seriously...

Which artists have influenced you, and how? Again, the influence mostly comes from pop culture: SuperHeroes comics, vintage sci-fi, etc... but I guess I find inspiration, too, in the painters and sculptors I like and admire the work of. Could be the great classic French from the XVII th/XVIII th centuries, American painters and illustrators like Hopper or Parrish, or Art Deco artists like Lempicka, just to name a few.

What is your favorite medium? My work is entirely CGI. Most images include 3D elements, but I use less and less 3D, only as a basis and in a very "unconventional" way, I think. The largest part of my work is made with "traditional" digital graphic tools. I just can't get enough of the infinite possibilities they offer. Not a day where I do not try a new effect, a different technic...

Did you have any formal training as an artist? I've graduated at the French National School for Beaux-Arts.

What do you do for fun (besides art)? Art is fun!

What are your current projects? I am currently working on a retrofuture set. I find the retrofuture concept to be fascinating... at the moment, at least ! Enjoy...

Be sure to check back soon for more of Stefans brilliant work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interview!

Do you have any website info for Stefan? His site, stefantoons.com, is no longer there...